I’ve been looking for an application for the BlackBerry Curve that can change the active profile based on the time of day, location or both for a few months now. I’ve found a couple of profile managers that change the profile based on time, including one that can use calendar entries to determine what profile is to be used, but none that are location driven. Similar programs exist for Symbian-based phones, such as Handy Profiles for the Nokia N71, so this shouldn’t be rocket science.
The ideal application would allow a BlackBerry Curve to automatically change the active profile based any of the following…
- the last-known location as determined from the GPS using proximity to a waypoint (eg: “when I am within 200m of this location, use the Quiet profile”).
- GSM cell ID (eg: “when I am ‘here’, use the Loud profile”).
- time of day/day of week ranges (eg: weekdays between 0900 and 1700, use the Normal profile).
Multiple conditions should be supported (eg: more than one location condition). It should revert to the profile that was active before a condition was met.
Other BlackBerry users would probably be interested in this, too, so maybe a bounty will provide a little encouragement to the BlackBerry authors out there.
I’ll put $50 in the pot to get things started. If you’d like to sweeten the pot, PayPal some cash to paypal AT dewis DOT ca with “BlackBerry bounty” in the comments.
|Current bounty total: $75|
- The working solution must run on a BlackBerry Curve 8310 on Rogers.
- If the solution is not made available for free (i.e. is packaged as a commercial product, which includes “crippleware”), anyone who contributed to the Bounty must be given a free license.
- The solution must be found by 23:59 UT on October 28, 2008.
- If no solution is found by that time, I will refund the Bounty contributions (via PayPal).