These words were uttered by Julius Caesar who was taunting Titus Vestricius Spurinna, an Etruscan haruspex who had warned Caesar that something bad would befall him. In this case, Spurinna had the last laugh, so to speak, because later in the day Julius Caesar was assassinated by his enemies.
Other notable things that happened on this date in history:
- Christopher Columbus returned to Spain in 1493 after his first trip to the Americas.
- South Carolina became the first American colony to set up its own independent government in 1776.
- The first World Contact Day with organized in 1953 by the International Flying Saucer Bureau
- The Godfather was released in 1972
- symbolics.com, the first .com domain was registered on the Internet in 1985
As well, one of my good friends celebrates her birthday today. Happy birthday to her! 😉